Saturday, November 3, 2007

seattle visits bend (part 2)

last week, one of my lab friends from uw, swaroop, came down to visit! we drove to crater lake, which is about an hour and a half away from bend, and hiked up the hill behind my apartment. and we watched a lot of football which was awesome. aside from the fact that his redskins lost pretty badly i'd have to say that it was an enjoyable weekend.

we drove to crater lake which is one of the prettiest places i've ever been. granted, i haven't been to that many places, but i think this one would rank up there regardless. from now on if anyone visits i'm going to have to bring you guys there. definitely awe inspiring.

later we went to the mongolian grill where swaroop learned the art of piling as much food as you can into a bowl - remember the noodles go on top! i learned that trick from kat on the last seattle visits bend edition. a guy came into the restaurant after us and came in a close second to crater lake for awe inspiringness with his ability to pile a massive amount of food into his bowl. i should've taken a picture. for breakfast the next day we went to the pilot butte drive in but we came in 8 minutes too late so we ordered lunch instead. the burgers are huge and delicious. way better than red robin. and i invited a friend from work who happened to have swaroop as a TA at caltech. small world huh?

we watched the redskins do not so well and then decided to hike up pilot butte (aka the hill behind my apartment). we went up right at sunset so it was super pretty. i really should hike up it more often because i probably won't ever have this kind of a view in my backyard ever again.

swaroop drove 6 hours to bend, 3 hours roundtrip to crater lake, and 6 hours back to seattle for a total of 15 hours driving in a span of 2.5 days. what a pal. thanks for visiting swaroop!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

TAMS!
CRATER LAKE?! crazy action. My fam and i went a long time ago. and yes it is beautiful and the water is out of control blue yea? when i visit...yes I am still planing on it, I want to go there too!

youch

Unknown said...

Tammy is a great hostess.

duckleeng said...

oooh crater lakes a beaut. =)

esterkwon said...

Oh after seeing all the Crater Lake action I am very sorry I missed it. Oh oh oh, maybe next time!

Unknown said...

Oops, I forgot to point out earlier that Tammy is a great hostess and also a great tour guide.

I did not count the number of hours I drove that weekend, but I did put 1027 miles on my car within a span of 52 hours. Well worth it, I must say.

FYI, just so everyone knows, the Pilot Butte Drive In is not actually a drive in. It's baffling. I don't know, ask Tammy. I was all ready to order out the window, and then everyone else started getting out of the car and I had one of those "what the heck is going on" moments. Oh well, at least the food was reasonably good.

Anonymous said...

WOW, YOUR PICS ARE GORGEOUS!!!